The Multi-Employer Benefit Plan Council of Canada
MEBCO was established in 1992 as a federal no-share capital corporation, operating on a not-for-profit basis. MEBCO represents the interests of Canadian multi-employer pension and benefits plans with provincial and federal governments regarding proposed or existing legislation and policies affecting these plans.
Our Board of Directors serve MEBCO on a volunteer basis, and are responsible for identifying issues that impact multi-employer plans, developing a strategy to address those issues, and then carrying out this strategy. They are elected representatives from all persons and disciplines involved in multi-employer plans, including union and employer trustees, professional third party administrators, non profit or "in-house" plan administrators, actuaries, benefit consultants, lawyers, and chartered accountants.
We carry out our mandate in a number of ways:
- By advocating our position on behalf of multi-employer plans before administrative tribunals, provincial and federal governments, and their agencies.
- By intervening and participating in proceedings before courts or other judicial bodies.
- By preparing and presenting reports, studies, and submissions on matters of importance to our members.
For more information on multi-employer plans ("MEPs"), click on the links below.
- The threat to multi-employer plans is real.
The legislative framework is constantly changing, and cost-management and cost reduction are at the top of every agenda.
- Legislative changes can be significant.
Recent proposed changes have threatened to offload costs onto plans, restrict plan coverage, and have compromised the viability of some plans
- Multi-employer plans are worth protecting.
Multi-employer plans play a vital role in providing health services and retirement plans to over 1 million workers and their families in industries typified by small companies and a mobile work force.
- Multi-employer plans need a united lobby.
Multi-employer plans carry a low profile due to the fact that the coverage is thinly spread over many employer groups and mobile workers.
- MEBCO is committed to protecting your interests.
When governments propose changes, MEBCO is the single, clear voice at the table representing the unique interests of multi-employer plans.